Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It Only Takes A Year

Have you ever wondered why it is so difficult to do the things you know you should do on a consistent basis to increase your performance and why a few others seem to just do it so naturally? 

Many years ago as a young lad running our small business in South Western Ontario I almost chucked it all in because I couldn’t perform like I needed to.  A big company called and asked me to join their team.  I wrote to my friend, Bob Miles and asked his opinion of what I should do.  I remember while on the road, writing that note with a red pen because it was the only one I could find in my motel room.  I received a registered letter back from him right away and it was in green ink because Bob was sending a message.

“Business people are allergic to red ink”, Bob said.  He went on to say “You have everything it takes to put it all together.  You are enthusiastic about your product.  You are optimistic about your business.  You just have to show up like a winner for one year. Every day, do the things you need to do and one day you will realize you can out perform anybody.  Give it one year.  Structure your year, months, weeks and days with all the activities winners do.  Leave it ‘on the court’ every day.  After one year, if you feel you have to quit, then quit.”

Well, I turned down that big Toronto company and focused on those most important activities every day as Bob advised.  For one year I did everything it took, no excuses, no lackadaisical efforts, and no perceived old lacks of anything like time or money.  To my surprise, my business began to flourish.  I was forming habits.  My confidence began to match my enthusiasm.  That is why, to this day, I am obsessed with action.  Doing the right things within an organized structure that causes the behavior and results we want.

All it takes is one year of focus.  Heck, many can’t focus for one week and would rather blame, justify and deny to themselves and others around them as to why things are not happening like they should.  Too many listen to others with their resistance to change concepts and then, buy-in to those ridiculous concepts that don’t matter to producers focused on the key things.  Whether you are a young man or woman or close to retirement, struggling or successful, how do you want play the game - to win or not?

My suggestion is:

  • Give it your all this year, no more stories.  You can’t control everything but you can focus on those key result areas that your business needs from you.
  • Few people can focus let alone follow an organized structure to succeed so you’ll be surprised how you beat back your competition.  Achieve customer results and your scoreboard will show it.

My choice at the time was to give it all for one year – or quit.  Little did I know at the time that it had little to do with the business and more to do with organization, focus and habits.  It still does!






How about you?  What are your four or five key result areas you should put your time and attention to?  What do you want to accomplish this year for each area?

Describe what is going on quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily that tell you that you are doing a good job in those areas?  A green pen may still work today, but regardless, if you focus your time and attention on those things you write down for one year, you will wind up being a leader in your office, your business, possibly in your industry and best yet, you will improve your performance, confidence and habits.  Don’t kid yourself.  The game of business is tough, but so are you.  You have it all.  Nothing is missing.  And it helps to have a good, outside friend and mentor like R.S. (Bob) Miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment